Your project must meet certain eligibility requirements to qualify for the microFIT Program. A microFIT project must:
- be a renewable energy facility that uses solar photovoltaic (PV), wind, waterpower and bioenergy (biogas, biomass, landfill gas)
- be 10 kW or less in size and located in Ontario
- be connected, directly or indirectly, to the distribution system
- must have metering that is suitable for data collection and payment calculation. All microFIT projects require a separate meter so that the amount of electricity produced by the project can be accurately measured.
- not be the subject of an existing OPA contract. For example, a project must not have a contract through the OPA’s Renewable Energy Standard Offer Program (RESOP).
If your microFIT project is an expansion of an existing renewable energy project, there are three more eligibility requirements.
If you are applying for a solar PV microFIT contract, your project must meet domestic content requirements.